​​​​​​​St. Agnes Cathedral

​​​​​​​St. Agnes Cathedral

Rockville Centre, NY

St. Agnes Cathedral in was designed by Gustave E. Steinbeck and completed in 1935.  An architectural icon of Long Island, it is the center of the sixth-largest Catholic diocese. The exterior is mainly comprised of beige brick, embellished with limestone. The roof is sheathed with slate tiles. The project entailed a conditions assessment of the original casement and fixed rolled-steel windows and doors on the steeple, preparation of repair recommendations, cost estimating, and construction documents.

St. John’s Episcopal Church

St. John’s Episcopal Church

Washington, CT

Architectural Preservation Studio was retained by St. John’s Episcopal Church for professional architectural services associated with providing contract documents and construction administration services for the required façade, roofing and narthex (west entry vestibule) and porch (south entry vestibule) restoration work at the church. Dating to 1918 and designed by Ehrick Rossiter, the Gothic Revival church is part of the Washington Green Historic District and is listed on the National and State Register of Historic Places. The project also includes the design of a new ADA-compliant ramp into the building.

The project is currently in Phase I construction for the restoration of the slate roofing and copper flashing systems.

Chapel of St. Cornelius the Centurion

Chapel of St. Cornelius the Centurion

Governors Island, NY

The Chapel of St. Cornelius the Centurion is located in the Noland Park section of Governors Island, a nationally and NYC-designated historic district. The chapel is a one-story masonry structure with a basement of approximately 9,400 gross square feet designed by the noted architect of church and collegiate buildings, Charles C. Haight. Built between 1905 and 1906, the Chapel of St. Cornelius is a cruciform church constructed of Indiana limestone. It was designed in the English Gothic style. An entrance located in the northwest corner of the chapel provides access to the nave. The transept separates the nave from the chancel. The south end of the transept contains a baptismal font and has access to the sacristy, choir loft, and the basement stairs. A side chapel dedicated to St. Albans is located off the north transept.

Architectural Preservation Studio was retained by Trinity Real Estate and coordinated numerous sub-consultants to provide a comprehensive conditions assessment of the interior and exterior of the building, including evaluation of architectural, structural, MEP engineering, paint-finish analysis, stained-glass windows, hazardous-materials identification, life safety, ADA compliance, and preliminary cost estimate. We also performed laser-scanning documentation of the exterior and interior in-house to produce highly accurate background drawings.

Avon Congregational Church

Avon Congregational Church

Avon, CT

Architectural Preservation Studio (APS) was retained by the Avon Congregational Church (ACC) to perform a comprehensive Conditions Assessment of the original sanctuary building at the Avon Congregational Church in Avon, CT (1818). The primary focus of this study is to provide the ACC with a comprehensive assessment of the existing conditions of the original sanctuary building and based upon this assessment present both recommendations and cost estimates for necessary stabilization and repair of this important structure.

The church was designed by architect David Hoadley, a significant Connecticut-born designer/builder who designed and built numerous churches and houses around the state.  His designs established the quintessential classic New England, white, steepled Church-on-the-Green which has become the model of many designers who followed.

Bethel AME Church

Bethel AME Church

Greenwich, CT

Architectural Preservation Studio was retained by Bethel AME Church for professional architectural services associated with preparing Construction Documents for restoration of the deteriorated front steps at the Church.

Temple Israel

Temple Israel

Long Beach, NY

The Temple Israel complex houses the first synagogue in Long Beach, completed in 1924. An adjacent school building was dedicated in 1930. A third building, the Rose and Irving H. Engel Center, was added in 1966. Architectural Preservation Studio performed an exterior conditions assessment of the complex. In addition, we provided laser-scanning documentation of the exterior and interior of the synagogue. The synagogue is a two-story stuccoed solid masonry structure with decorative-wood surrounds and a terra-cotta tile roof. The school, which is now used for senior citizens, is a three-story brick building with stone detailing and asphalt-shingle-clad roof. The center is a steel-frame brick and cast-stone cavity wall, interrupted by full-height aluminum and glazed curtain wall.